Personal care products, cosmetics, and perfumes are defined as preparations made with natural or synthetic substances, to be used externally on the various parts of the human body. The classification of cosmetic products is in two groups: grade 1 products and grade 2 products.
Anvisa explains that the criteria for the classification of personal hygiene products, cosmetics, and perfumes were defined in function of the probability of occurrence of unwanted effects due to the inadequate use of the product, its formulation, purpose of use, areas of the body to which they are intended, and care to be observed during use.
Product Characteristics Grade I and II
These are products that are characterized as having basic or elementary properties, the proof of which is not initially required. Thus, these products are exempt from issuing detailed information as to their mode and their restrictions of use, due to their intrinsic characteristics.
Some examples of grade 1 products:
- Cream, lotion, gel and oils for the legs (with the sole purpose of moisturizing and/or refreshing)
- Body deodorant (except the ones with antiperspirant action)
- Shampoo and conditioner (except the ones with anti-dandruff action and/or other specific benefits that justify previous proof)
- Face and/or body soap (except the ones with antiseptic or chemical exfoliating action)
- Shaving products (except the ones with antiseptic action)
- Cologne water
These are products that have specific indications, whose characteristics require proof of safety and/or efficacy, as well as information and care, mode and restrictions of use.
Some examples of grade II products:
- Children’s products
- Intimate use products (e.g., soap and deodorant)
- Anti-dandruff and/or anti-fall shampoo or conditioner
- Product for acneic skin
- Anti-wrinkle product
- Anti-stretch marks and anti-cellulite product
Learn more about
GRP Brazil Office provides Regulatory Affairs, Quality, Clinical and Safety services to pharmaceutical, medical device, Personal Care Products, Cosmetics ,Perfumes and life-consumers companies worldwide to register them product with ANVISA the local Health Authority (HA).
About Global Regulatory Partners
Global Regulatory Partners Inc, (GRP) is an American company that provides regulatory affairs, clinical, quality and safety services to medical devices, pharmaceutical, cosmetic and Food Supplement companies globally.
GRP headquarters is located in Massachusetts USA and its main affiliates are located in China, Japan, Brazil, and Mexico. GRP helps many life science companies register their products in different countries in compliance with local regulations.